Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Friday, December 3: Where is your confidence?


Pride is the ugliest attribute in others, but when looking in the mirror, we often forget how that same pride looks on us. In our society, we seem to draw the line between pride and self-confidence, though after drawing the line, we forget where we placed it. How many times do we lose friends or relationships because of that useless pride? Certainly, the “love chapter” of the Bible teaches us about pride’s opposite and by negating each statement, we can place pride (or our own names) in the place of “love.”


Pride never suffers long and is never kind; pride envies; pride parades itself and is puffed up; pride behaves rudely, seeks its own, is provoked, thinks evil; pride rejoices in iniquity, but never rejoices in truth; pride cannot bear anything, never believes, never hopes and never endures. Pride fails.


Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18


Everyone walking this earth begins with an addiction to sin, and typically, even when trying to conquer sin, our failures occur when pride gets in the way. Just as Peter bragged to Jesus, “I love you more than the rest; I am willing to die for you,” on the same night that he denied Jesus three times, we get in trouble by using sweeping generalizations like never and always. Modern-day culture seems to honor self-confidence, without understanding how often that self-confidence passes to pride. Interestingly, in all 14 times the word “confident” is used in the Bible, it is a positive attribute when relying upon God and is a negative attribute when relying upon self.


being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
Philippians 1:6


How can we be confident that we will conquer that sin addiction? Because God is going to complete His work in us! That has nothing to do with our own actions, as we are merely the recipients of His gift! Without our eyes focused upon our Gift-Giver, we are destined for failure.


“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you're looking down, you can't see something that's above you.” -- C.S. Lewis


When a man brags about his accomplishments, there always is exaggeration, if not hyperbole. By looking at any job seeker’s resume, this prideful exaggeration is apparent. Instead of having absolute confidence in our past, we should have confidence in God’s future in us. Confidence in self is fleeting, yet confidence in God is perfect knowledge, irrefutable because of His promises!


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:12


“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
John 15:5


Are you walking confidently in your battle against sin? If you have given your life to the Lord, the bondage of sin has been removed, as have your old sins. Yet we sometimes continue to choose sin. If there is a struggle in your life, walk in confidence that God can conquer that sin. If you are confident in your own strength, only failure will knock upon your door. Instead, brag of the mighty power of God, for He will enable you to walk in victory! Have confidence in God!


1 The LORD is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked came against me
To eat up my flesh,
My enemies and foes,
They stumbled and fell.
3 Though an army may encamp against me,
My heart shall not fear;
Though war may rise against me,
In this I will be confident.
Psalm 27:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment