Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Saturday, January 22: You’ll never walk alone again!


Unlike Three Dog Night’s interpretation that “one is the loneliest number,” one represents unity. There is one God in three, unified persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Many weak analogies attempt to give our limited, human brains an inkling into the triune nature of God. One of those tells us that there are three parts of an egg: the shell, the egg white and the egg yolk. Yet that analogy is very limited as we cannot separate God like an egg. The best interpretation seems to be mathematical. While 1 + 1 + 1 = 3, we also know that 1 X 1 X 1 = 1! When God gave the commandments to Moses, the first was “you shall have no other gods before Me!” (Exodus 20:3). There is only one God, yet we know from the first verse of the Bible that God is more complicated than that. Elohim, the Hebrew word for God, refers to plurality.


Lucifer was at one time God’s most powerful angel, yet his pride pushed him to lead a mutiny against the Lord, including one-third of the heavenly host. Isaiah writes about that event:


13 For you have said in your heart:
I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’
15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
To the lowest depths of the Pit.
Isaiah 14:13-15


Satan’s pride is exemplified in the fact that his goal was to exalt his throne above the stars of God, yet he also said, “I will be like the Most High,” demonstrating that even in his most prideful boast, Satan realized that it was impossible to be greater than God! While there are many religions, there is only one God. That is not to say that the God of Judaism and Christianity is also the God of Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism. Sadly, without even knowing it, those people worship Satan, as he attempts to copy God in that desire to “be like the Most High.” God is incapable of changing and the god of those other religions is capricious. With seven significant as the number of spiritual perfection, we can see unity through God and all He touches:


4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Ephesians 4:4-6


The church, the body of Christ, has been united by God for His purposes. Heaven will not be segregated with Baptists on one street, Presbyterians on another and Episcopalians on a different street. Our God of unity desires for all of us to walk in that unity.


Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 14:6


There are not multiple paths to God, as Jesus reminded us that He is the one way. Additionally, Jesus is the only truth and the only life. Yet as Christians, we are united by Him. The walk of a Christian is not on a lonely road. Though there are times when God may call us to walk in desolate areas, because we are united in Him, He always will walk with us. Writing these devotionals has been a challenging road, but there have been far more blessings than hardships. With the one-year goal having been satisfied, the more important goal remains – to draw closer to the Lord on a daily basis. That race continues until the Lord calls us home to be with Him.


24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27


In the Broadway musical Carousel, one of the most poignant moments occurs at the singing of the song, “You’ll Never Walk Alone, Again.” That is the promise God makes to each of us as Christians. No matter how difficult the road you are on, He is there with you. When we need direction, He leads us, on the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. When we choose to walk in sin, He walks closely behind us, waiting for us to turn around and run into His loving arms again. But most of the time, He walks beside us as our best friend. What a miracle that the Creator of all calls us His friends! Walk with Him to the end of your race!


I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race, I
have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7


In closing this 365th devotional, I wanted to personally thank each and every one who has shared in the journey. With the amount of study time applied to completing this task, certainly, my biblical knowledge has increased this year. Yet without allowing that knowledge to impart wisdom to my heart, the journey was a waste of time. That has not been the case. It has been an enormous blessing to accomplish the goal of drawing closer to God. He has told us that if we seek Him, we will find Him, and if we draw close to Him, He will draw close to us. Those promises are ones He fills in an on-going way. While I did draw closer to the Lord through this process, I still have many more areas of my life that I can lay down at the foot of the cross. I desire this for myself, and for each of you. Though our walks with the Lord are unique and personal, our paths intersect often with fellow believers. We can encourage others when those journeys appear too difficult to manage. Once again, thanks for reading the devotionals, encouraging me and sharing in the love of Jesus Christ, who deserves all praise and adoration. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment