Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Saturday, October 2: Shadows


Two of the seven, Labrador retrievers that I have been blessed to own have been named, “Shadow.” While the name fits due to the black color of the dogs, the constant companionship of man’s best friend makes the name even more apropos. Having purchased the first Shadow with paper route money while in seventh grade, I am accustomed to having my dog with me almost everywhere I go! On sunny days, it is impossible to get away from your shadow.



Shadows offer coolness on a hot day, and can lengthen or shorten depending upon the location of the sun in the sky. Even little men can cast long shadows, and with that in mind, can you begin to imagine the size of God’s shadow, when the train of His robe filled the temple with glory? There are four verses in Psalms about us dwelling in the shadow of His wings.


Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!
For my soul trusts in You;
And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge,
Until these calamities have passed by.
Psalm 57:1


What an amazing picture that gives us of God’s covering upon each believer! Instead of us riding upon His wings from place to place, God desires for us to walk through the battleground upon the earth. Yet in that walk, we are sheltered by His mighty wings. Without nearness to God, we would not be in His shadow. When calamities are upon us, God has apportioned a safe haven, shielding us from the fiery darts of the evil one.


37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! 38 See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!’ ”
Matthew 23:37


Jesus spoke these words from the Mount of Olives, the site of His departure to heaven as well as the site of His future return to earth. We serve a Lord who desires to protect us, but without our willingness to follow Him, we walk unprotected through a world that chews us up and spits us out. Yet, as believers, not even death can harm us.


Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4


We are not walking through a valley of death, but only a shadow of death. That shadow offers no more than a silhouette, which has no power to harm us! When facing the sun, shadows are behind us, and when facing the Son, the shadows of our burdens are behind us. We are going to a place where there will be no darkness. As God is everywhere, and God is the Light of the world, our heavenly home will offer no shadows!


23 The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. 24 And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it. 25 Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there).
Revelation 21:23-36


We dwell in the shadow of the Lord’s wings, where He offers His protection. Yet in our future home, there will be no need of protection. With open gates and a city without walls, there will no longer be an enemy desiring to capture us, as once the Lord has captured our hearts, we are safely in His grasp for all of eternity! Though the cares of the world can give us moments of fear, that fear is not of the Lord, as He guides us, protects us and loves us! Fear not! There’s not a shadow that can harm you and that is the closest to darkness you can ever come once you belong to the King of kings!


1He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”
Psalm 91:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment