Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Monday: March 22: God is gracious!




Today is a continuation from Wednesday, when someone dear to me returned to the Lord. I was hesitant to identify him, because there were people in his life who had been praying for him for years. I didn’t want to spoil the gift he wanted to give. Today, my nephew John left Georgia to drive to Charlotte, North Carolina. More than anything else, John wanted to attend his mother’s church without advance notice. He could visualize himself running down the aisle to give his live to Jesus Christ once again, as he had done in his youth. John had recommitted his life to the Lord earlier in the week, but also wanted to make a public declaration of that commitment. He also could imagine the joy that was going to bring to his Mom. That joy is spreading as we speak, as my whole family is rejoicing along with God and His heavenly host of angels!


John learned lessons that many of us have learned with the stumbling and bumbling of our lives. He told me today that when he gave his life to Jesus as a teenager, he didn’t have a clue what that really meant. Now he does. Having done it his own way and found a deep pit of despair, John in now willing to do it God’s way. Boy, do I know what he is feeling right now! Jesus told a story to Peter that explained this very well:


41 “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”
43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”
And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” Luke 7:41-43



Walking with the Lord for all of your life would be a blessing, but having a great burden removed from your shoulders has its own special blessing. The bigger the burden that God removes, the more we love Him in return!


Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.” Luke 7:47


“John” means “God is gracious,” and today, someone I love very much is feeling the freedom of that grace. Our conversations in the last few months have been so special, as I could feel John reaching the brokenness that it takes to look up to God. As most of us do in the midst of our sin, John was crying out to God, “God, where are You?” God’s answer was, “Just turn around, John. I never left you. You just haven’t been looking for Me or listening to Me. I love you, My son. Now, come home to Me!”


Tonight, I have been waiting to hear how the night went. My niece left me a text message to pray for them, as John attended church with them and the family was going out to dinner together. My nephew posted a wonderful message on Facebook a little while later that said, “Glory to God!” Those simple words couldn’t have described my feelings any better as our God performed a miracle in all of our lives today!


Glory to God, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment