Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sunday, March 28: Peaks and Valleys


What a week it has been! My nephew recommitted his life to the Lord. (Peak)! He decided to bless his mother and go down the aisle of her church, to help heal their fractured relationship. (Peak)! He drank a few beers before going down the aisle to do this. (Valley)! As there had been death threats against the pastor, the security team at the church wrestled him away into a back room. (Valley)! On Wednesday, he met with his mother, as promised, in order to attend a men’s accountability group. (Peak)! The group wasn’t a fit, more man-based, than God-based. (Valley).


John admitted to me and others for the first time that he has substance-abuse issues. (Peak)! His mother talked to him about going to a God-based rehabilitation facility in Tennessee called U-Turn For Christ. (Peak)! John asked me if I knew anything about U-Turn, and miraculously, I went to Israel with the ministries’ founding pastor, Gerry Brown. I was able to tell John how much I respected the man and his heart for the Lord. (Huge Peak)! This morning, it is highly likely that John looked to be filled with the old substances rather than the Holy Spirit. (Valley). Today, he has not returned any of my phone calls. (Valley). My sister called and said that John talked to the director of U-Turn and all is set up for his arrival tomorrow. (Peak).


There have been more ups and downs than a day at an amusement park! This weeks’ peaks and valleys are no surprise. It’s called “life.” Though it has been challenging to remain on an even-keel and not bottom out on this emotional roller coaster, I can feel God’s hand through it all. When we pray, we usually visualize our own answer to that prayer. Yet as we see in our Christian walks, God’s answer is almost always much different from what we have imagined. Additionally, His answer is more of a blessing!


Being a mountain climber, I found some quotations on mountains that made me think of John’s journey, my own journey, and the ones that affect all of us:


• “Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.”                                                           --Anonymous


• “It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.”
--Muhammad Ali


• “It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”                                                                              --Sir Edmund Hillary


But more importantly than what men say about overcoming the mountains ahead of us, what does God say?


4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world— our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?                                                                                                                                               1 John 5:4-5


33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”    
John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment