Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Friday, June 18: Know your strengths and weaknesses!


Tennis has been a lifelong pursuit for me, and I enjoy the mental aspect of the game as much as the physical. In some ways, it is like playing chess on a moving chessboard. One of the interesting challenges is hiding your weaknesses while accentuating your strengths. It comes down to the weakest link in the chain. If you have a world-class forehand and a high school level backhand, it won’t take long for your opponent to figure out where to hit the ball in order to win.


As Christians, we also have strengths and weaknesses to battle an opponent with a well-trained army. That army is trained to search for a way to defeat us, and in so doing, to damage our testimonies for the Lord. Yet unlike tennis, where we attempt to disguise our weaknesses, in our Christian walks we should hand those weaknesses over to Jesus.


7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. '
2 Corinthians 12:7-10


The Lord chose Paul to write a majority of the New Testament. Yet along with that great challenge and blessing was a “thorn in the flesh.” Theologians have argued over what sin or issue caused Paul to suffer. Many opine that it had to do with a physical affliction, but God chose not to reveal what caused Paul to struggle. To me, that is so each of us can associate our own struggle with the one Paul endured. Each of us as Christians understands what it is like to fail. In that failure, we not only let ourselves down, but feel as though we have failed the God who saved us. First, know there is nothing you can do that surprises God. If you are a Christian, He saved you knowing each sin and mistake you ever would make. Most of our sins occur when our pride gets in the way. Instead of relying on Jesus, as we often do with our weaknesses, we fool ourselves into believing that we are strong enough to handle the demonic attacks alone.


Peter was a great example for us in that his attacks and failures came in his strengths, rather than in his weaknesses. Known as a courageous man, Peter was the only disciple to get out of the boat and attempt to walk on the water with Jesus. He sliced off the ear of Malchus, an assistant to Caiaphas, when the Jewish high priest came to arrest Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. When Jesus warned the disciples the night before His crucifixion that they would all be scattered, Peter bragged that he loved Jesus more than the others. Jesus told Peter that before the night was over, Peter would deny Jesus three times.


Sadly, in the hours to come, Peter’s courage shrank into nothingness, even lying to a young girl about his association with Jesus. Why did Peter fail? Because when we brag, it is our own strengths and accomplishments that we are calling attention to. We need the full armor of God spoken of in Ephesians to fight in God’s army. One of the obvious aspects of the parts of armor mentioned is that there is nothing covering the backside. God arms us for a face-to-face battle, not a retreat!


We are strongest in the areas that we hand over to the Lord. But God uses our weaknesses to demonstrate His power. We should take pleasure in our weaknesses, as they point to the grace and mercy of our God, who loves us! Whose battle is it?


47 Then all this assembly shall know that the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD’s, and He will give you into our hands.”
 1 Samuel 17:47

No comments:

Post a Comment