Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Monday, June 28: Forgiveness

When I look back on the many bad decisions I have made, I am amazed that I am still above ground! Additionally, I am equally amazed that the people I involved in my failures have forgiven me. One of the most difficult aspects of life is to accept the failures of others as easily as we accept our own failures. Don’t forget, the behaviors of others that typically bother us the most are those that we readily exhibit! How many times have you made comments about a driver’s failure to signal, when moments later, you fail to do the same? (I guess it is just me)!


The greatest Biblical example we have of forgiveness on this earth is not surprisingly, Jesus. Our Lord knew that Judas was going to betray Him, and still, loved Judas like a brother. We have all heard the term “forgive and forget.” In truth, while forgiveness can be a supreme challenge for all of us, the second part of that phrase is even more difficult. What did Jesus teach us about forgiveness?


21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
Matthew 28:21-22


Many people say that you don’t have to forget, only forgive. Yet can you truly forgive someone who has sinned against you in the same manner without forgetting the past? I don’t think so. In order to have the same negative action happen to you that often, you have to put yourself back into that vulnerable position of love and trust. We do that even if we know the possible, or even probable outcome. To put it in perspective, how many times has God forgiven you for the same sins?


14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Matthew 6:14-15


There’s another aspect of forgiveness that we often overlook. Have you ever not forgiven a person because they hurt you so badly that they did not deserve it? Or maybe they didn’t apologize, and in the same manner, they didn’t deserve forgiveness. The true blessing occurs when we forgive the unforgivable. The burden that is removed is from your own shoulders, as until you are able to forgive, you carry the weight. Often, those who sin against us don’t remember the sin, don’t think of the sin and don’t acknowledge the sin. To forgive them is freedom for you!


“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” –Lewis B. Smedes


Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”
Luke 7:47

No comments:

Post a Comment