Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Saturday, May 15: I don’t know nothin’ about birthing babies!

I feel a little like Prissy in Gone With the Wind, who is known for the infamous words, “I don’t know nothin’ about birthing babies.” Though she had bragged about her knowledge of childbirth, and claimed to have helped her own mother, when push came to shove (sorry about that one), she lied and had no experience as a midwife to assist Scarlet O’Hara in the birthing process. Today is the due-date for my youngest sister, who is ready, willing and able to be the greatest mother ever. Yet just as the billions of other mothers who have come before, she is wondering how great the pain is going to be and how she will handle that pain. So, Julee, today’s blog is for you. Though I can't help with the process, I can help with the prayer and encouragement!  Here are a handful of Bible verses to remind you of God’s part in this miracle!


He will gently lead you:


10 Behold, the Lord GOD shall come with a strong hand,
And His arm shall rule for Him;
Behold, His reward is with Him,
And His work before Him.
11 He will feed His flock like a shepherd;
He will gather the lambs with His arm,
And carry them in His bosom,
And gently lead those who are with young.
 Isaiah 40:10-11


Because you love and obey the Lord, He will bless your offspring!


2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the LORD your God:
3 “Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country.
4 “Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.
Deuteronomy 28:2-4


Why are you having a child at your age? The Lord is rewarding you!


3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Psalm 127:3


God formed this beautiful baby for His glory!


7 Everyone who is called by My name,
Whom I have created for My glory;
I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”
 Isaiah 43:7


Don’t worry about the pain. It will pass, and you won’t remember how much it hurt. You will only remember the joy of the gift the Lord is giving you!


A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 22 Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.
John 16:21


Just remember the miracles that the Lord performed in order for this baby to become a part of your life, your family and your future. Think of the sweet time with your Dad at the Mayo Clinic! Without that, this never would have happened. Think of the gift the Lord gave you in Mark! Think of the miracles He has worked in your life. Don’t forget that all of us are the sum of our parts. Take away any part and you would not be exactly the same. Though you desire for Mom to be with you, don’t forget what we talked about concerning the part her death played in changing my life! I would call this the “It’s a Wonderful Life” school of thought. I can’t wait to be an uncle again.


Lord, bless Julee on this day, or whatever day you designed for her little one to enter this world. Help her! Give her strength, endurance, encouragement, great doctors and the reminder that her baby is your miracle, a gift from You! Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Gare
    I am so blessed to have a brother like YOU. Thanks for the amazing encouragement. Those are so many of my favorite verses...especially Isaiah 40, but have never read that in context of me having a young one...wow. It is all such a miracle. Thanks for turning my eyes to Jesus and to the bigger picture. Love you more than words can say. xo Julee

    ReplyDelete