Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wednesday, May 12: Comfort zone

“The greatest enemy to human potential is your comfort zone.”

In Southern California, most people are aware of the tradition of “Taco Tuesday.” My favorite restaurant on those days is Las Golondrinas, and its daily price of $2.70 per taco is cut in half every Tuesday. Being a creature of habit, I love their carne asada tacos with hot sauce. Though I don’t get to go every Tuesday, if I have the time and money, I usually make it. Is it possible there are better places out there? Yes, but as much as I like Las Golondrinas, I doubt that I will attempt to find its superior.


As Christians, we often find ourselves in similar situations. Whether it be the comfort of our job, our home, our church or even the town that we live in, it is easy to stay within the confines of the boundaries we have imposed on ourselves. Sometimes though, God wants to stretch us. It is in those times when we are most apt to grow. Yet left to our own decisions, most of us would choose sameness, rather than yearn for the potential ups and downs of a constantly changing environment.


I love how Joshua handled the difficulties. When he was preparing to lead the Israelite army of 600,000 at the Battle of Jericho, a visitor approached Joshua:


13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?”
14 So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.”
And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?”
15 Then the Commander of the LORD’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy.” And Joshua did so.
Joshua 5:13-15


The Commander of the Lord's army is not an angel, but Jesus. This is called a theophany or christophany, and refers to an appearance by God in the form of man. Similar to the time when Moses heard God in the burning bush, both men were told to take off their sandals as they were on holy ground. When an actual angel appears, he never allows men to worship him! Yet what I notice here is that when Joshua asks the Lord the initial question, “Are You for us or for our adversaries,” the answer is neither. Instead, He announces His position as the Commander of the army, basically telling Joshua that he is to relinquish the position of leader and let the Lord handle the battle. Joshua worships his Commander on the spot.  Though Joshua was an able-bodied commander, in the large battle ahead, the Lord desired for Joshua to follow Him.  God desires for us to walk in victory, with Him leading us.  It cannot be the other way around!


The next question is, “What message does my Lord say to His servant?” This sounds similar to the question Paul asks in Acts:


10 So I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Arise and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all things which are appointed for you to do.’
 Acts 22:10


Often in our walks and talks with the Lord, we are quick to tell the Lord what our will is in a situation. Lord, this is how I want You to answer my prayer! Yet, to be in the center of His will, we need to listen and ask. Lord, what shall I do? It is in those places outside of our comfort zone where God can teach us the most. It’s rare when you feel like taffy, being pulled and stretched to your limit. Yet know that the Lord stretches you for the purpose of drawing you closer to Him. Without being stretched, we tend to rely on our own power rather than His.


Do you want to operate in the center of His will or in the center of your own will? There is no greater place to be than where He wants you!

No comments:

Post a Comment