Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wednesday, May 5: Fruit inspectors?

Sometimes, Christians believe they have the right to be “fruit inspectors.” Based on a specific verse in Matthew, God tells us how we can tell if someone truly is walking with Him:


17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
Matthew 7:17-20


It’s easy for God to judge the fruit, as He and only He, can see what lies within. That would be the heart, the motives and the changes that have occurred in each of our lives. Remember, when we come to the Lord, He does not immediately perfect us, but sends in the Holy Spirit cleaning service to start sweeping out the mess in our lives. I have heard sermons stating that we are not to judge non-believers, but based on the methodology that the Bible gives us how to confront someone who sins against us, we are to judge other believers. I don’t see that. Personally, I see a huge difference between someone sinning and someone who sins against me. If I address the person who sins directly against me in love and forgiveness, I bet the other steps don’t have to happen as often. Once again, there are always three points of view in any given situation, ours, theirs and God’s, and only His is accurate. In the verses above, we can see whether or not their fruit is good or bad, but that doesn’t mean we need to confront them or judge them! We need to love them anyway! I think there are other verses in Matthew that highlight this:


“Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Matthew 7:1-4


This goes hand in hand with "Let he without sin cast the first stone."  I am not sinless, and consequently, have not earned the spot of "first stone thrower!"  Have you ever noticed that the characteristics of others that bother you the most are typically attributes of yourself? I certainly have! The 2 X 4 often has taken up residence in my eye, and it is not because I am bored. We are blinded by our own sins, and can’t see the forest through the trees because of that sin. And yes, there have been times when I think a whole forest was in my eye when I noticed the stumbles of another person. Let’s look at 1 John for another perspective:


5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
1 John 1:5-10


I know people who claim to be walking with the Lord who are still straddling the fence between God’s Law and man’s “right” to live as he pleases. Some live with their girlfriends, go out and get drunk, curse like sailors or sin in a variety of ways. Am I supposed to tell them all the ways they are failing? Certainly, there are times when God might open a door to share with them where I have walked in my life. Usually, that door opens with a question from the other person, not a caustic comment from me!


We have to be careful judging others, as God is the only fruit inspector. We might be able to see the fruit, but only He can taste it! Some of the sweetest fruits I have eaten didn’t look so great on the outside. I think if we spend more time loving our neighbors as ourselves and loving the Lord with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength that the Holy Spirit will open doors where we can share loving language with those struggling with sins. Just like driving a car, it is much easier for someone else to see your blind spot, just as it is easier for you to see their blind spot.

1 comment:

  1. The Parks GardenerMay 8, 2010 at 7:17 AM

    We are our "brother's keeper" as commanded in Scripture, to which we go to them not condemn, but to lovingly point out sin in their life as a brother and not as a frustrated nun.

    ReplyDelete