Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Friday, April 16: Changing Times

Bob Dylan wrote a song in 1964 called, “The Times They Are a-Changin,” and when I look at the world today, I feel like holding tighter to the Word of God, as the times definitely have changed. Jesus warned us in Matthew 24 of famines and earthquakes that will occur in various places before the tribulation. Are we in that time? It sure does seem that way, but only time will tell. Worldwide recession is obvious. Earthquakes in Haiti, Chile, China and Mexico have caused much death and destruction. Seismologists who are not well-versed in Biblical prophecy are saying that we have had an average amount of earthquakes in the 7.0+ range this year, but they also say that if the earthquakes continue, it will be worth further study into what is going on.


If that was the only aspect of unfulfilled Bible prophecy splashing across the daily newspapers, my interest wouldn’t be as much on full alert. Yet the issues happening with the nation of Israel further convince me that we are entering interesting times. According to the latest reports, Iran officially will become a nuclear power in August of 2010, when their first reactor opens. Along with that, experts have estimated that Iran already has enriched enough uranium to construct two nuclear weapons. Up to this time, the nations with nuclear capabilities have used those weapons as a deterrent in warfare, rather than an aggressive threat. Yet Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said that he will wipe Israel from the map. Nuclear weapons would certainly facilitate that act. Yet we also know that Israel has nuclear weapons. Is it possible that Ahmadinejad will accomplish his goal? Not according to God:


14 I will bring back the captives of My people Israel;
They shall build the waste cities and inhabit them;
They shall plant vineyards and drink wine from them;

They shall also make gardens and eat fruit from them.
15 I will plant them in their land,
And no longer shall they be pulled up
From the land I have given them,”
Says the LORD your God.
 Amos 9:14-15


What concerns me more is the stance of the United States toward the nation of Israel. Since the formation of Israel as a nation on May 14, 1948, the United States has been Israel’s biggest supporter. For the first time in that history, we have a president who does not support Israel. Though the polls demonstrated that most Israelis would have voted for Barack Obama had they been given the opportunity, now that feeling is quite different. The American president supports the Palestinians above the Israelis, and tensions between the United States and Israel never have been stronger. Why is this a concern?


Now the LORD had said to Abram:
“Get out of your country, From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
 Genesis 12:1-3


If we as a nation curse Israel, God will curse us as a nation! Individually, that is quite different. I will continue to bless Israel! Having been there, my love of Israel will continue to be strong in my heart. As difficult as these times may seem to be, don’t forget the blessing that goes hand in hand. What a great witnessing tool! God has told us years in advance what is going to happen. Doesn’t that testify strongly of who He is? Don’t be afraid! God is in charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment