Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Friday, April 30: What dreams may come

One of the strangest parts of life occurs not in our waking moments, but while asleep. Dreams are such a varied experience. They can be happy, sad, scary, stressful or beautiful. Though they are seemingly different for all of us, what is likely is that they are often triggered by an event that happens in life. Some people spend their lives studying dreams and others spend their lives interpreting dreams. Many people still put much credibility into some of the dream interpretations given by Sigmund Freud, but to me, the only dream interpreter worth his weight was Daniel (though Joseph showed talent, too).


When Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon, was losing sleep due to a repeating dream, he asked his court of advisors to not only interpret the dream, but before he told them anything about it, they were also to tell him what he was dreaming. With God’s help, Daniel gave the king both the dream and its interpretation. Even the description of the dream tells us that Nebuchadnezzar had the ability to see. Why would I say that?


Interestingly, I found myself wondering the other day what occurs in the dreams of a blind man. When I researched that question, what I found was that a person blind from birth had only auditory dreams. Someone who had lost their sight could dream of the people or places they remembered, but when someone appeared in the dream who they had only known after they had become blind, it would be nothing more than a hazy blur.


In His miraculous walk on this earth, Jesus made the blind to see.


31 So the multitude marveled when they saw the mute speaking, the maimed made whole, the lame walking, and the blind seeing; and they glorified the God of Israel.
Matthew 15:31


In John 9, Jesus healed a man who had been blind since birth. That affected the man’s waking hours and his sleeping ones miraculously, as even his dreams became a Technicolor change! Can you imagine dreaming in only sounds, with everything completely black? I don’t know what I expected, but I guess I thought that blind people would see something beyond description.


Even though we know that God can speak in dreams, we also know that Satan can find his way into our most susceptible state, when we are asleep. But what I want to highlight is that every one of us was blind before we met Jesus as our Savior. He gave us legs to walk, ears to hear, a heart to feel and eyes to see. Without Him, we were dead, but just like Lazarus, He has raised us from the dead in the same manner that He gave us sight!  Certainly, our spiritual condition far outweighs our physical condition. 

Through the sight Jesus has given us, He has given us hope of what dreams may come. I dream to see His face and be by His side for all of eternity. What do you dream of?

No comments:

Post a Comment