Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Monday, April 5: What was lost…


This Resurrection morning, I woke up rejoicing in a Motel 6 in Fresno, California! I drove from Laguna Beach the day before, with a week ahead of camping in Yosemite National Park. I love doing without the modern conveniences of home and sleeping in a tent, cooking on a campfire, and seeing God’s creation in all its splendor. Yet there was a battle ahead of me. I couldn’t find my wallet and that sent me into a bit of a panic.


Backtracking in my mind of where I could have left it, I remembered walking across the street for dinner. I paid for my food there, and also had my wallet when I checked into the motel. I asked the girl at the front desk if anyone had found a wallet, but no one had. I prayed for God’s help in finding the wallet, knowing that I didn’t have any cash or a credit card in my truck. Certainly, without finding the wallet, the trip to Yosemite was going to be quite a challenge, for I had another 100 miles to go and the gas tank was on empty. It reminded me of a section in the Bible:


3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.’ 12 But I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than for that city. Luke 10:3-12


If God guided the path of the disciples, He also had a planned path for me. Maybe my vacation needed to be more of a soul-saving mission for the Lord! I returned to my room and saw two dimes and a penny on the floor. If they had fallen out of my pocket, maybe the wallet had, as well. I looked under the bed, but nothing was there. I pulled the comforter off the bed, and a credit card fell to the floor. I was perplexed. How did a credit card get under the covers? Well, at least I could get gas! I pulled back the blankets, and there was my wallet! Wow! What a relief! The Lord sure answered that prayer. Of course, that reminded me of another Bible story:


8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!’ 10 Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
Luke 15:8-10


Once again, God reminded me that His plan for my life is much bigger than mine. My lost wallet, even if never found, wouldn’t compare to my nephew giving his life to the Lord the week before! While the momentary panic reminded me that the first step I need to take is prayer, that step was earlier in the process than is usual for me. Along with that step, the Holy Spirit reminded me of Bible verses to get my eyes away from my problem and toward God on this blessed morning. He has His hand so firmly on my life that I shouldn’t ever forget His love for me!


35 And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” So they said, “Nothing.”
 Luke 22:35

No comments:

Post a Comment