Welcome to the daily devotional!

This blog began with the goal of posting daily for a year. Now, only 50 days to go, and it has been a sweet and special time of fellowship with the Lord. Each day, I look for His presence in my life, to see what He wants me to write. Thanks to those of you who have shared this walk with me. I hope that as He strengthens my walk with Him that He accomplishes the same in your lives.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wednesday, April 7: Reflections

Today, everywhere I seemed to venture revealed a reflection of the huge, rock structures in Yosemite Valley. Reflections are similar to the structure, but they are not solid. One small pebble in the water can send ripples through the reflection and it quickly disappears. Reflections on our lives can give similar results. Our limited brains don’t always remind us accurately of the past. Some of us focus more on the negative (the glass is half empty), while some of us focus more on the positive (the glass is half full). Most situations have a degree of both.


I think God wants us to reflect on at least two aspects of our lives. One of the most important reflections has to do with God’s miraculous hand in delivering us from trials. When the Israelites were fleeing from Pharaoh’s army and came across an impassable obstacle called the Red Sea, God miraculously turned back the waters and created a path of dry land through the midst of the sea. Can you imagine walking on that ground, looking up at the huge waters above your head that could come crashing down at any moment? Once they were safely on the other side, with Pharaoh’s soldiers in hot pursuit, God allowed the waters to crash down, drowning each member of the Egyptian army. Though they were able to see God’s hand deliver them miraculously, the Israelites created a golden calf to worship days later! Though I have often looked at this story dumbfounded how the Jews could forget God so quickly, I have done the same. Do we turn to Him first when faced with adversity? Or do we turn to Him when nothing else works?


Looking back at our sins is another healthy reflection, though we shouldn’t over do this. God has forgiven our sins, if we have repented, and along with that, God has forgotten our sins. His Word reminds us in His eyes, our sin is gone!


17 Indeed it was for my own peace
That I had great bitterness;
But You have lovingly delivered my soul from the pit of corruption,
For You have cast all my sins behind Your back.
Isaiah 38:17


12 As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103:12


19 He will again have compassion on us, And will subdue our iniquities.You will cast all our sins Into the depths of the sea.
Micah 7:19


Paul looked back at his old, sinful life. He thought of himself as the worst of all who God had saved. Have you ever felt that way? I know that I have. That speaks of the power of God and the love of God, who can even save a wretched soul like mine or Paul’s. To God be the glory. Thanks for the reflections today, Lord, and the reminder of who I once way along with the sight of who I am going to be!


12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13 although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
1 Timothy 1:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment